Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Scenes From My Fantasy Closet pt. 2

I just spent an hour or so perusing the Outnet, and I reallllly, most ardently, wish that I could buy the unbelievably eccentric items listed for sale.

When I was in high school, I created a clothes-obsessed teenage game of make believe to which the Outnet was the key element. I would pretend that I had an event to go to and proceed to scroll through the pages of discounted designer wear to piece together a stunningly flashy, completely unwearable, outfit. I tried to bring my low-frequency real life events calendar into the game by almost convincing myself that I needed a pair of Stella McCartney silk pants for my Model UN Conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Hashtag no.

Here's my theory on the Outnet: the raison d'ĂȘtre of the site, at least for the lil' old me's of the world, isn't to provide us with a one-stop-shop for our entire wardrobe. Rather, it's the place to buy a statement piece (or two)--a coat, a sweater, or a pair of boots--that make us feel effing awesome. As such, I was probably in the wrong when I scoured the outerwear section in pursuit of a wear-with-everything fall coat this morning because the most pragmatic item I came across was a heavy-duty fur coat.

But, I did find a coat from Halston Heritage, a brand that always reminds me of the episode of Sex and the City in which Carrie dates a politico played by John Slattery, whose role in SATC is more famously known as the guy with the urine fetish. Carrie buys a slew of new clothes from Halston to wear as she accompanies him on the city council campaign trail...thus the connection to the Halston coat I saw this morning, as seen below. I kind of really want the coat, but its resemblance to a bathrobe is a major dealbreaker. Not discouraged, and I'm still going to fashion a fantasy outfit around it, one that abides by the basic mixing rules of the Tonne Goodman fan club. 

(I immediately recognize that I took online shopping way too seriously in the above paragraphs. Is it Cyber Monday yet?)


Halston Heritage Coat, Rag & Bone jeans, Saint James shirtUniqlo SweatshirtJenni Kayne flats, Timex Watch


No comments:

Post a Comment