Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What You Reading, Gurl?

I recently had the boring realization regarding the state of my life that there isn't much I'd rather do with my time than read a book. From what I can induce (or is it deduce? I never know) reading a good book is much like falling in love. That's a fleeting thought I had on the subway once that I probably shouldn't voice aloud but hear me out. When I read a good book, it consumes my life--I stay up late, wake up early, and stand on street corners until I finish a chapter. I'm excited when the story starts and I cry when it's over. If it has a really tragically happy/sad ending (see: Me Before You and Harry Potter), I choke on my tears as I retell the plot to my family members.

I blame it on my mom. When I was in middle school, my mom decided that the house where my family spends our summers would be an Internet and cable free zone. The only modern technology we had in the house was a TV and an accompanying DVD player, but we didn't own any DVDs. It was kind of like a wholesome reality show in which everything we needed to entertain ourselves could be found at the public library--books, magazines, movies, Internet access. My sisters and I would ride our bikes to the library every couple of days and stock up on romcoms and British chick lit titles like Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married and Mr. Maybe, and I think it was the summer before 8th grade that I read the book that defines a beach read: Jemima J. Anyway, thanks to my mom and her anti-technology crusade, I discovered books to be my No. 1 source of entertainment.

Most recently, I just finished Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. V good but kind of a commitment due to its 600 plus page count. I have Edith Wharton's collection of New York stories sitting at my bedside, but I just bought The Opposite of Loneliness and I don't plan on doing much of anything else until I finish it. I had read the essay during my last week of college, a coincidence to the fact that its intended audience is soon-to-be recent college graduates. I used to go back and read the essay in the weeks following graduation when I was melodramatically mourning the end of life as I knew it, so I highly recommend it as a precursor to the book. I also borrowed The Interestings from a friend who described it to be about "hipsters before they were a thing," so that sounds promising. Anywhooze, WHAT ARE YOU READING?

No comments:

Post a Comment