Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

You Guys, Hedi Slimane

I just finished reading most of my September issues, as well as a recent piece in The New York Times' Thursday Styles section about the September issues, and one thing stands out: Hedi Slimane and Saint Laurent.

I remember being a little confused about the whole YSL rebranding. I was studying in Paris and coveting the Muse bag, when all of a sudden, it changed. Where was the YSL insignia, what was this whole Saint Laurent thing? Did I want the new bag? Did it even matter to me, who couldn't afford either version? A few magazine articles and blog posts later, I finally got it. I've always felt some sort of weird kinship to YSL--when I was in 8th grade, I dressed up as Yves Saint Laurent for my French class and tried to take them back to 1960s Paris as I explained the concept of le smoking. I wore a kimono and tortoise shell glasses. I still feel uncomfortable thinking about it.

Hedi Slimane is so cool. I like the California grunge collection overall--some looks are better than others, and I probably won't be sporting fishnets this year, but I'm into it. At first glance, some pieces look a little eh and I have to wonder if they only look appealing because they're Saint Laurent (or YSL?). Nonetheless, his collection has institutionalized the grunge trend for the better. Flannels have slowly been making their way back into mainstream over the past couple of years, and there were traces of grunge last fall with urbanites wearing beanies, shirts around the waist, and moto boots, but thank god to Slimane for finally putting it all together on the runway. And on that note, I need a duffle coat even more than I did last fall.





Images via style.com

Hedi Slimane image via The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment