Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sonia Rykiel Pre-Fall 2014

I have a soft spot for Sonia Rykiel because her flagship store was across the street from the school where I studied in Paris. It served as a meeting spot for the minimal rendez-vous I had during my nine month stay, and I was always too scared to go inside because no matter how hard I tried, I could never shake the uncool "American girl studying abroad" vibe that was inherent in everything I said and did.

Whenever I got out of class, I would have to mumble an awkward pardonnez-moi to the chicly dressed-in-black employees mingling on the sidewalk for one of their seemingly on-the-hour-every-hour smoke breaks. Sonia Rykiel became synonymous with the left bank French attitude that surrounded me at school and which I admittedly tried so hard to achieve.

When I started a babysitting job that gave me 60 euros of spending cash every week, I tried to save up my money to buy a quilted backpack from Sonia Rykiel, a pack that was going to be my version of Bianca's Prada backpack in 10 Things I Hate About You (ya know?). I never got to buy my backpack because my hard-earned money would disappear like clockwork two days after I received it, or after I walked past a Zara (whichever came first).

Anywhooze, Sonia Rykiel's Pre-Fall 2014 collection is below. It features heavy knits, overwhelming scarves, baggy trousers, and boxy oversize coats. Mmhhhmm, sign me up.

All pictures are from Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment