Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Graphic Sweatshirt

I can't remember if I've done a post on the graphic sweatshirt yet. If I haven't, I should have, and if I have, then this is a refresher because there's a whole new crop of graphic sweatshirts on the market worth coveting.

I've been a champion of the graphic sweatshirt since I bought one that says RUN DMC at Urban Outfitters last year. I always hate myself a little after I buy something from Urban Outfitters because I can't help but think that I'm paying twenty dollars too much for something that I could cut up and stain myself or just buy at Housing Works.

Graphic tops are dangerous waters to tread into. You have to really know what's going on on your chest before you go out in public wearing it. For example, one of my friends claims that she wore a shirt that said 'Afternoon Delight' for the better half of sixth grade, not picking up on the innuendo given her prepubescent nature. I was really tempted to buy a 'Who the Fuck is Mick Jagger' shirt from a Paris boutique that I walked past every day two years ago, but I decided against it because I don't have the lifestyle for those types of tshirts. RUN DMC, despite my friends' accusations that I was an 'effing poser,' was a safe bet because I know one and half Run DMC songs and I've seen every episode of Run's House. Although, I'll point out that I'm currently wearing it inside out because I don't want to draw attention from my fellow patrons at the New York Public Library.


I really want the new Isabel Marant graphic sweatshirt that says Good Morning Tokyo. I used to have an inclination towards all Tokyo-themed graphic tops because I lived there for two short years in my #youth, but this one is $280 and given that I'm currently trying to live in bigger and better places than my parents' apartment (JK, the places I'm looking at are neither bigger nor better), spending my dollaz on that sweatshirt won't really get me anywhere but back home for more roasted brussels sprouts.

Below: Isabel Marant and Erin Wasson, two sources of graphic sweatshirt inspiration. (High-res pictures, who needs 'em, amirite?).



No comments:

Post a Comment